Posts for tag: sore throat
What your ENT specialist in Hagerstown and Frederick, MD wants you to know about sore throats
An occasional sore throat happens, but if you keep having a sore throat that doesn’t go away it may be time to get some help. Sore throats can be a symptom of an underlying condition that needs medical attention, but how can you know if you need to see the doctor? Your ENT specialists at Central ENT Consultants in Hagerstown and Frederick, MD want you to know the facts about your sore throat.
You should visit your ENT specialist if you experience:
- A severe sore throat that lasts longer than 5 to 7 days
- A rash or joint pain
- A sore throat without an identifiable cause like allergies
- A fever over 101 degrees
- A difficult time swallowing, breathing or opening your mouth
- An earache or lump in your neck
- Blood or mucus in your saliva
Sore throats can be caused by common conditions like allergies, the flu or a cold. Infections of your nose or sinuses can also result in a sore throat as the mucus drains down the back of your throat. Infected tonsils can also cause a sore throat. If your sore throat has an obvious cause, chances are it will go away when the condition does.
For relief from a common sore throat, your ENT specialists want you to try:
- Drinking lots of liquids
- Drinking warm tea with honey
- Gargling with warm salt water
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers
- Placing a humidifier in your bedroom
There are more serious causes of a sore throat, and your ENT specialists in Hagerstown and Frederick, MD want you to be aware and seek help because your sore throat might be a sign of something more serious, such as:
- Strep throat, which is caused by bacteria and won’t go away on its own
- Sleep apnea, which can deprive your body of needed oxygen
- Acid reflux, which can cause chronic esophagus issues
- Throat tumors, growths or cancer
When you visit your ENT specialists they may prescribe antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection like strep throat. In the case of sleep apnea, you may need to wear a special appliance called a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure).
Your ENT specialists will perform a thorough medical examination to determine if you might have a potentially serious condition. They offer a full range of diagnostic testing to determine the cause of your sore throat and the best treatment for you.
Don’t suffer from a chronic sore throat when help is just a phone call away. Call your ENT specialists at Central ENT Consultants in Hagerstown and Frederick, MD and get some help for your sore throat. Call today and feel better tomorrow!